A Chronicle of our Family's Adventure in Real Estate.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Wise Man Built His House Upon a Rock

...The modern day wise man uses ICF aka insulated concrete forms.  It is like a concrete sandwich with Styrofoam  for the bread.  When I first heard Styrofoam for a foundation I figured it had to be some super duper builder grade Styrofoam. Styrofoam strong enough to handle enormous amounts of concrete. Concrete that  would be holding the house of my dreams. The house I would like to be standing until Jesus returns.  Apparently, when the builder grade Styrofoam is the same Styrofoam they use to make the cups you pour your coffee into during fellowship hour at church.  Styrofoam that you can rip apart with your bare fingers.  My house is going to built on this!?
This is the brand that the supplier who our builder works with recommended.

I was a little distressed at the haphazard way these were placed.

  I'm no expert on building.  I know there are people who are much much smarter than me who know what will work best, but aren't there about a million other materials one would think to use to put an entire house on that are a bit stronger than um....Styrofoam?  Oh well...everyone is doing it and I've always been one to follow the crowd.
     The contractor built a form this morning and had the code enforcers check it out before they came and poured concrete into earlier today.  This is how things looked.


Yes, we know that we shouldn't be taking pictures of the Amish, but Dan say's he's pretty sure they won't be reading the blog.

I'm told the house will somehow be attached to this.
  As you can probably tell, I haven't exactly caught onto the whole science of building.  I promise I will be much more informative when it comes to things like paint colors, wall treatments, and bathroom fixtures.  That will be a few months from now, but things are looking good!

1 comment:

  1. So exciting!!! I'm so happy for you guys that the first steps are happening! You crack me up (the Amish picture tag killed me. :)
    Can't wait to see you guys next week!

    ReplyDelete