A Chronicle of our Family's Adventure in Real Estate.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Start and Stop



Things have been moving along just swimmingly.  Last Friday the concrete was poured into the walls.  This is where we will eventually put a window (I hope).

Girls looking out of future French doors.








It's great to see some form coming to the building.  We are learning that building a home is like a waltz (I'm guessing since I've never actually waltzed before).  We are trying to coordinate supplies, excavators, and the contractor, as well as getting the weather to cooperate.  Now that I think about it, building is more like getting dinner ready.  You need to know what you're making, have the ingredients, and get it onto the table at a reasonably warm temperature while getting everyone to the table AND having them be nice to each other.  That's a metaphor I can relate to.  Everyone IS being nice to each other on the job, but schedules are not coordinating.  Our contractor had to help his brother move, then the excavator had a three day job in the middle of the week.  Now everyone is available.....BUT it rained last night and the ground is too wet for the heavy equipment to drive on to in order to bring in the gravel for the next part of the job.  oh well....  It is teaching me patience and I have a feeling that is a lesson I'm destined to have for the rest of my life.
   On a brighter note we did get our well dug!  They hit water and they didn't have to drill to China.  We actually stayed within our estimated budgeted and that is both shocking and pleasing all at the same time.

They drilled 160 ft.      
 
  So even though they haven't been building we have been making progress.

  We ordered 41 windows today. 

Colonial Style

  
  This isn't a very popular style of window, but it allowed us to add some architectural detail without blocking our view.  We ordered the windows from Eco Shield Window Systems.  It is a NY company and we we spent about 1/4 less than we would have if we went with a brand we could have gotten from Lowes or Home Depot.  Do you thing 41 windows is a lot of window?  We currently have 16 in our house, so it might be a bit of an adjustment for me.  If you see me wearing sun glasses in the house it's because I'm not used to so much sun light.

   We hope to be back on track on Monday.  I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment