A Chronicle of our Family's Adventure in Real Estate.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

What We've been up to.

        I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  We had a wonderful time with family over Christmas, but the party is over and now it's time to get to work.  We my husband has this crazy idea that we will be in the house before the Super Bowl.  For those who don't know, the Super Bowl is 4 weeks away.  We have  A LOT of work to do in 4 weeks.  How much work you may ask?  To start with there isn't a septic system in place to take care of  the half time shuffle.  There is no flooring, no paint, no trim, no kitchen, no bathrooms, no driveway and my husband says "No problem." I don't even want to make a "To Do" list because I might just curl into the fetal position and cry.  Instead I will pick out paint colors, hang pictures in my minds eye, decide were my dishware will be stored in the yet to be installed kitchen cabinets.  Yeah, I'm definitely not dealing with reality.
    We did put our kitchen cabinet frames together.  We got our cabinets from IKEA as chronicled here.  It turned out to be a fairly painless process.  We still need to install them on the wall and put drawers and doors on.  Our fantastic builder has the entire house almost dry walled and sanded.  I've been told a lot is going to be happening this week.  I think everyone knows how gullible I am and they keep feeding me lies that I happily believe.  I guess if it keeps us all happy there's no harm done.  I'll keep drinking the Kool Aid. 
One of 18 cabinet frames we had to put together.  It only took three attempts before we got it right.   

Living room view. Those are all of our kitchen cabinets piled in the center.

We are putting a tongue and groove ceiling in the kitchen.




We hope this machine will eventually dig the hole to put in the septic.  When we get our septic you are officially welcome to come and visit.


Olivia helping to get wood into the house.  I put this on just because she is so stickin' cute.




This is the pine tongue and groove that we will be using for the kitchen ceiling.  We used oil base primer to keep the dark knots from showing through.  Dan actually finished painted them today, but we didn't take any "after" pictures yet.  


  So this is where we are at.  Nothing exciting, but as I like to say "it is what it is".  I'll keep you updated on our progress.  If we do end up getting in before the super bowl, your all invited over to watch it.  Which reminds me....I have to call the cable company. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! SOOOO much work, but worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you don't see the light at the end of the tunnel but WOW you have a lot of light in that new house. Rejoice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll bring chips and salsa to the superbowl party. ;-) haha

    ReplyDelete