A Chronicle of our Family's Adventure in Real Estate.

Monday, August 15, 2011

It's Starting to Look Like a House (Well Parts of it).

   The house we are living in is still a curb appeal nightmare.  I keep on thinking I"m going to wake up and the yard will be beautiful and the pool will be filled with crystal clear water, but sadly each morning I awake to the same dirt filled yard and leaky green pool.  To keep the mood light and myself from taking solace in an illegal substance, I am going to be turning our attention to the new house that is actually starting to look like a house.  Dan and I are making more decisions than we ever thought possible in a short period of time.  Decisions about light placement, electrical box placement,  how long is the back deck is going to be that we aren't building until next year.  Trying to figure out how to fit 120 inches of bathroom into a 108 inch bathroom.    A We hope these decisions are good ones because we won't know if we like it until it's installed and can't do anything about it.  Ugh!  I like it when you just go and buy a house because it already comes with things like doors and well placed electrical outlets.
     Do you know what I did today?  I walked around the house with the contractor who is doing all of our plumbing and electrical work and figured out where we would place each light fixture, electrical outlet, and plumbing fixture.  I thought there was just a standard for those things...like "all lights go 5 feet up from the floor and 10 inches out from the door.  Of course I consulted Google and found some general guidelines, but when we imagined the lighting fixtures placed at those specific measurement, it just didn't look right.  If any of you come and visit us and have issues with our light placement, just keep it to yourselves and tell us how lovely everything looks then go home and talk about how hideous it is and how lucky you are that you don't have to live there :) .  We really did try and make it look good.  Anyway...the whole point is to have lights and electrical service and in the end that is what we will have.   The good news is that after all of that decision making Brian was able to instal electrical boxes and wire a today.  Now all we need is electric service to hook it all up to.
Those blue boxes and yellow wire mark the start of  the interior work.
  In addition to the blue boxes and yellow wire we added a little red.

Yes, that is Dan with a chainsaw.  I'm not really sure why he chose that as a prop, I guess it's manly, and Dan is nothing if not manly. 

   So back to the house, i don't know about you, but I am so diggin' the red.  Especially with the window style.  I am hoping that it really will look like a barn!  I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.  I'll be sure to keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment