A Chronicle of our Family's Adventure in Real Estate.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Inspiration

I've always wanted to build a house.  In the same way that I've always wanted to go to Europe.  It's one of those things that you want to do, but don't really expect to get to.  I never thought it would be a reality, until one day I  started thinking, not just everyday thinking, but really thinking in the scheming sort of way you think when you really want what you want. This thinking involved reaching back into past knowledge and experience.
    Dan and I had been able to buy "distressed" houses put some money and a lot of sweat equity into them and sell them for more.  Hmmmm...If we could do it on a remodel, why couldn't we do it on a new construction?  So I embarked on researching (via google) on how to build an affordable house.  Many options came up, like building a yurt or dome house.  They appealed to me in the sense that I would feel like I was part of a Star Wars movie every time I came home, but other than hoping some Ewoks would be my next doors I couldn't really see living in one of these.  I did find a 20-Point Affordability Checklist at Building Affordable.com.  Basically it said don't go custom.  Not rocket science or anything.  Not long after I starting thinking scheming.  I saw this article in Country Living Magazine March 2010.
Country Living March 2010   




Country Living March 2010      
   I hope to be standing at my kitchen island someday serving my family in just this way.  I think my picture will have a lot more dirty dishes and my childrens' feet I'm sure would have mud on them. Other than that and the fact that we're all brunettes I'm sure the scene at our house will be very similar to this one (to be read with a hint of sarcasm ).

  The things that stood out to me about this house were.
  1. The simple framing (no bump outs or extravagant roof lines).
  2. Board and Batten siding (I have since learned that vinyl will be the same price and will be easier to maintain in the future).
  3. The overall simplicity of it.  There were no custom light fixtures or imported hardwood floors.  Most of the finishes could be picked up at the local building store.  Mass productions = Less money.  These are good qualities in my book.
So this article was the numero uno inspiration for our new home.  I'll be uploading our plans soon so you can compare the two casas.    We should be getting our final plans this week which means we apply for our building permit and schedule excavation!  Can't wait to share the details. 

No comments:

Post a Comment